17 Healthy Snacks for Traveling
Making healthy choices while on the road doesn?t have to be a challenge. Matter-a-fact you can find convenience faster than finding a fast food restaurant! All you have to do is look in your back seat if you prep ahead of time.
By stocking your car prior to the trip, you are setting yourself up for a healthy success! Some items to have on hand in your vehicle should also include: water, napkins, paper plates and utensils. Think instant restaurant.
And please don?t limit yourself to just eating snacks. Use a warm thermos for soups, mac-n cheese and whatever you want.
The goal is to have a healthy snack ready when you need it to fight any hunger pains or the desire to stop at a fast food restaurant. To ensure ready in seconds snacks follow these tips:
- Wash all fruits and vegetables, cut if necessary
- Portion size snacks in plastic bags
- Make sure it?s not an object too complicated to eat, such as a sub sandwich.
- Encourage finger foods
Carry a cooler for the following foods:
- Sliced cheese or cottage cheese servings
- Deli meats
- Drinks (V8, 100% juice etc.)
- Homemade salads
- Fruit: berries
- Hard boiled eggs
Healthy room temperature snacks can include:
- Nuts of all kinds
- Popcorn (Pop ahead of time and place in plastic baggy)
- Rice cakes
- Fruit: apples, bananas, oranges
- Dried fruit: Apricots, cranberries, raisins, dates
- Granola bars (homemade or store bought)
- Trail mix
- Vegetables: tomatoes, broccoli florets, celery sticks
- Peanut butter: By itself or spread on crackers
- Low-fat muffins
- Baked chips or Rice Chips
- Roasted chickpeas
Healthy doesn?t have to be hard, it just requires some prepping ahead and thought. By doing so it makes avoiding fast food restaurants even easier.
Author Note: Amber Poole is the author and owner of a couple of popular blogs, including Fit Foodie Runs. She is a huge advocate of healthy lifestyle full of activity and healthy eating. Be sure to follow her on Facebook.